A DUI Manslaughter Attorney is the best asset if you find yourself facing charges in the St. Petersburg area. The legal team under Frank W. McDermott, Esq., is prepared to walk you through the process of dealing with charges related to Driving Under the Influence from beginning to end. Any kind of legal process can be stressful and knowing someone is fighting for your rights can provide peace of mind. A DUI is serious enough, but if severe bodily injury is involved, it is crucial to know how to move forward. The following is important information if you are currently facing charges.
What is DUI Manslaughter?
When your drunk driving accident in St. Petersburg results in the death of another person, you may be charged and need a DUI Manslaughter Attorney. While the laws regarding DUI Manslaughter vary from state to state, there are two general kinds:
- Vehicular Manslaughter with Gross Negligence:Charged when a driver was driving under the influence with extremely reckless behavior.
- Vehicular Manslaughter with Ordinary Negligence:Charged when a driver was driving under the influence and violated a traffic law, but was not extremely negligent. It can also mean a driver failed to use reasonable care to prevent injury and/or death.
These two charges often result in very different cases and have different penalties.
Florida State Statutes
Florida Statute 316.193 deals with Driving Under the Influence and DUI Manslaughter.
The following information is directly from the statute:
- Driving Under the Influence is a serious crime in the State of Florida, punishable by fines and potential imprisonment.
- DUI also carries significant administrative penalties through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and may include loss of your driver license.
- DUI Manslaughter is a felony offense punishable by a minimum mandatory prison sentence of four years. The prison sentence for this offense can be up to 15 years and carry significant fines under Florida Statutes.
- A Manslaughter conviction carries administrative penalties through the DMV including permanent revocation of your driver license.
While there is a lot of information regarding these charges available, it is best to speak with a DUI Manslaughter Attorney as soon as possible. He or she will make sure you are fully informed and understand what your case entails. At McDermott Law Firm, P.A., we help St. Petersburg area residents who are facing charges. We can provide the information you may need for your charges and will make sure you are prepared for what is to come.
The Effects of Impaired Driving
Even drinking just a little before driving can put you in danger of not only facing charges but also putting yourself or someone else in harm’s way. It is important to know what changes your body goes through when you try to drink and drive. Some symptoms include:
- Weaving: A driver who moves from lane boundary to lane boundary back and forth could be showing signs of impaired driving.
- Tailgating: When you have been drinking, your vision is impaired, and you may follow the car in front of you too closely.
- Wide Turns: Overestimating the distance needed to make a turn can show signs of intoxication.
- Slow Driving: Driving below the speed limit in hopes to avoid being “caught” for impaired driving can be just as dangerous as driving over the speed limit.
Any of these symptoms could be the reason for causing an accident in the St. Petersburg area, which could result in serious injuries or loss of life. Consult a DUI Manslaughter Attorney after an arrest so you can review the events leading up to your charges.
For a DUI Manslaughter Attorney in St. Petersburg, Call McDermott Law Firm, P.A.
At McDermott Law Firm, P.A., it is our goal to support and assist Defendants in need. If you or someone you know is currently facing charges due to loss of life from a drunk driving accident in St. Petersburg, contact us online or give us a call at 727-367-1080 today. A DUI Manslaughter Attorney can help with every step of the legal process from completing paperwork to defending your rights. The McDermott Law Dogs® are ready to help you!