A Drunk Driving Lawyer is vital to your case if you are facing DUI charges. Mcdermott Law Firm, P.A. has been supporting and defending clients in the Pinellas Park area since 1961. We represent those who find themselves facing drunk driving charges, and you can trust us to defend your case.
The following information is important to know when you need a Drunk Driving Lawyer:
Why Was I Charged With a DUI?
In the state of Florida, DUI charges are given when a driver is operating a motor vehicle with a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .08 or higher. If you consent to a breathalyzer or any other BAC test, the results can be used to press DUI charges against you. A skilled Drunk Driving Lawyer can make sure that your BAC test was valid and can determine whether or not the results can be used against you. Due to the fact that the results of a breathalyzer can vary from person to person, it is important to make sure they are accurate. Factors like weight, age, health, and gender can affect the results. When dealing with DUI charges in the Pinellas Park area, the team at McDermott Law Firm, P.A. can make sure you are well informed and prepared.
Consequences of DUI Charges
If found guilty, you may face a variety of penalties, depending on the details of your case. A Drunk Driving Lawyer is crucial to ensuring you receive minimal sentencing. Pinellas Park courts follow statutory sanctions put in place by the state of Florida. These include:
- Losing your license (usually a 6 to 12-month revocation)
- A court-imposed fine ($983 or more)
- Time in prison
- Alcohol education and prevention programs
- Treatment for alcohol abuse
- Community service
- Vehicle impoundment
- Installation of an Interlock Ignition Device (IID)
The DUI Case Process
Facing DUI charges can be emotionally and physically draining, especially if it is your first time dealing with criminal charges. You may find yourself wondering what the next step is and what you should prepare for. A Drunk Driving Lawyer can be the professional you need to guide you through this stressful time. Here is what the steps of a typical DUI case in Pinellas Park may look like:
- Arrest: You are taken into police custody after showing signs of impaired driving and/or failing a field sobriety test.
- Booking and Bail: While in police custody, your personal information and fingerprints are collected, and your personal items are confiscated. If allowed, a bail amount will be set and you can be released when bail is paid.
- Arraignment: This is the first step of the trial process. Your charges are read and you submit your plea. Future court dates are decided.
- Preliminary Hearing: Known as the “trial before the trial,” this is when the judge will decide if there is enough evidence to send your case to a full trial.
- Trial: The prosecutor and your attorney will present their cases and the jury will decide if you are guilty or not guilty.
For a Drunk Driving Lawyer in Pinellas Park, Call McDermott Law Firm, P.A.
At McDermott Law Firm, P.A., we are always looking to help potential clients in the Pinellas Park area who are in need of attorney services. Our firm’s goal is to make sure our clients feel comfortable and well-informed about their case. Any criminal charges can be stressful and a struggle for you, so we work to lighten that burden.
To learn more about our firm near Pinellas Park, contact us online or give us a call at 727-367-1080. A Drunk Driving Lawyer can help you with your legal case from beginning to end. Trust the McDermott Law Dogs® to fight for you!